Sunday, April 12, 2009



I have officially boarded the Twlight train. The frenzied mania surrounding the franchise had turned me off and had no intention of reading it. I made a similar vow about Harry Potter during the peak of that craze, and I have yet to crack open a HP book. While vampires aren't really my subject of interest (which was confirmed while reading Christopher Moore's You Suck), in this case, Twilight had peeked my interest before the movie hit the theaters. See I'm a nerd and I'm nosy. As a nerd, I spend a lot of time in bookstores and libraries so I had seen Twilight numerous times and noticed posters advertising the release of a new Stephanie Meyers book. I had also noticed people reading books in the series on the train. After seeing this book so much, my noisiness has gotten the best of me and I had to see what all the hype was about. I have already read Twilight and have just started New Moon. While the books aren't terrible, I don't understand why people are so obsessed with Twilight. The large font size paired with the large margins make it shorter than it appears, but the books are still longer than necessary. After reading the first book and first two chapters of NM I find Bella rather annoying. She's quit the "Debbie Downer" and is often self-deprecating. Her over-the top resistance to celebrating her 18th birthday was annoying and dragged on to long. I got the urge to slap her. As for Edward, I'm a little lost on why he is considered a stud? He seems so cranky and grouchy all the time. I also was annoyed by his constant chatter about how "dangerous" he was and how he "didn't want to harm her." The first time, the idealistic teeny bopper within me found it cute, though it was less cute upon second reference. And it become nauseating in later references. The book wouldn't have had to be 500 pages if Meyer didn't waste so much time with Edward's repetitive blubbering. That said, I have heard New Moon was the worst of the series so we will see. I plan to keep trekking through.

1 comment:

Miss Print said...

This is my favorite review of Twilight ever (and I thought my own was pretty good!): http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/12639073.