Sunday, August 23, 2015

In Case You Missed it: The Unauthorized Full House Movie (SPOILERS)


While many of my peers were out at AfroPunk (Lauryn Hill showed up!! And from what I hear, on time! SO jealous!); or at the bar, I was at home, eagerly awaiting the Full House Unauthorized movie on Lifetime.

I realize that many will assume that this comment was said in sarcasm, jest or extreme exaggeration. Alas, it was not. While part of me was afraid, after the Aaliyah movie, I had to watch.

To be fair, I never actually watched the Aaliyah movie, but I heard enough negative feedback to make me skip it all together.

Okay, so while this movie had its share of flaws, I didn't hate it. I didn't love it either. The thing is, it didn't feel real. I mean, it felt more like a caricature of Full House, rather than  an actual movie about Full House. Like an unfunny SNL skit.

My first beef with the movie, a beef shared by many on Twitter, was the casting of the Olsen Twins. Particularly, of the "baby Olsens."

Here is a photo of Full House DVD season 1, with a photo of how people looked in the show during that season:
As you may remember or see above, Michelle was an actual BABY in the show. The Olsen twins in the movie were about 10.

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but they were about 2 or three. Far to old to play Michelle in season one.

As you can see from the photo above, movie Michelle was much older.  Also, that is not "first season" Stephanie hair. As shown above, Stephanie wore her hair in curls for the first season. (I believe season two as well). The flat half-pony tail came later. 

Other hair issues:

Uncle Jesse: In Full House, Uncle Jesse had long hair, cut it short, and let it grow out again. This Uncle Jesse had the long hair almost through out. However, he did have a cut in the wedding scene.

DJ and Kimmy:  They show a scene that was supposed to take place in season 8. However, Kimmy Gibbler and DJ were both sporting hair styles from the 80s. I thought the scene was taking place in a middle season until they showed the announcement that the show was over.

Uncle Jesse looks like a Ken doll in this photo. While watching the movie, I kept thinking he reminded me of a bad version of Adrian Grenier (Entourage, which real life Bob Saget guest stared on a few times.) Young DJ and Joey also don't look like their characters AT ALL. I kept cringing every time I looked at them.

I did think that Bob Saget/ Danny Tanner casting was decent. I also liked their choice for Aunt Becky and Kimmy Gibbler. 

The actress playing older Candace/DJ was a better choice than the young one. While the change of actresses was a bit abrupt, it was necessary to show the aging, despite the above mentioned hair issues.

I realize that as an unauthorized movie, there is only so much they can do. However, I must say that the set was disappointing. I mean, it really looked nothing like the real set at all. It looked like they were making a movie about a totally different show.

Did anyone else find the scenes with the Olsen twins sickening? The whole "They have something special here, they should make more money...." I get that everyone wants more money, but the Olsen twins did not have "something special." They were just lucky and had a good team.

They were cute, but, most kids are at that age. Being blond-haired and blue-eyed didn't hurt either. I mean their talent was repeating lines that the women behind the couch fed to them. We all remember those records. Listening to them "sing" was painful. As Sophia Petrillo once said, "Do we have a candle? I want to drip hot wax in my ear."

The fact is, there really wasn't that much of a story here, really. I mean, the cast said in interviews that they got along and there wasn't a lot of drama on set. Which was shown in the movie. The only on set drama, was the jealousy towards the Olsen twins, which was only lightly touched upon.

In fact, Bob Saget's off set life was a major part of this movie, and the "juiciest" part of the whole movie.

One thing that I did learn, was that both Bob Saget and Dave lost their sisters while on the show. In fact, Bob Saget made a movie about her life.

Many fans have expressed annoyance that the film showed Candace's wedding but didn't touch on Judith Sweetens drug issues. Judith Sweeten has spoken about her druggy past in the media many times, as well as in her memoir, Unsweetend
.
 According to her book, the end of Full House was traumatic for her. Her habit started shortly after the show ended. In fact, she got so drunk at Candace's wedding that she threw up and carried out (she was 14 at the time!)

None of this was shown however. Instead, Candace's wedding was shown as a happy affair. With Bob Saget making a Danny Tanner like speech (while reminding everyone he is NOTHING like Danny Tanner).

Other Full House staples missing:

  • Comet (the dog)
  • The catch phrases: "Pin a rose on your nose!" "How Rude!" "You got it Dude!" "Have.... Mercy!" and
  • "Cut.It.Out."
  • While Bob's gig on America's Funniest Home Videos was mentioned, I heard no mention of Dave's gig as a host of America's Funniest People.
  •  Mr. Bear
  •  Ranger Joe and Woodchuck
  • Kathi Santoni (the class slut)
  • Vicki
  • Steve, Nicky and Alex were not shown until the last scene.


Did you watch? What did you think?







No comments: