Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Remembering Aaliyah

 Today marks 14 years since Aaliyah passed away. Death is always sad, but Aaliyah's really upset me.

Not only was she so young when she passed, but she still had so much more to do. At the time of her passing she was getting ready to drop her self-titled album (which was amazing, by the way), and she was filming the matrix sequels.

While her album was still released, she didn't finish filming her films, Her part in The Matrix movies was given to Jada Pinkett Smith.

Years later, while working at NYC tourists favorite Serendipity 3,(a restaurant and shop) I had the opportunity to meet her mother.  I hadn't known she was Aaliyah's mother when she first walked in the store.

She had come in looking for a picture frame. She had seen some in our display window in the past. She told me she was looking for something dignified to use for a photo of her deceased father, who has been in the military.

While we were looking, she started speaking to the host at the podium. It came up, that like many restaurant employees, he was an aspiring actor.

"Oh, my daughter used to act. She was in Romeo Must Die," I heard the woman tell him.

At this point, I looked at her. "Wait, you're Aaliyah's mom?"

She looked surprised, happy, and sad, all at the same as she said "You know Aaliyah?"

The questioned floored me for a second. It seemed impossible NOT to know Aaliyah. Although, the host actually hadn't heard of her.

"Of course! I loved Aaliyah!" I said. "Her last album was amazing! And everyone loved "Are you that Somebody."

Just as the conversation started getting good, my boss made me stop talking to her. I am still annoyed as we were NOT even busy.



I also loved this one:

 What was your favorite Aaliyah track?

No comments: