Thursday, July 02, 2009




Michael Jackson Media Overload: Blame it on ME!

I was getting my haircut at my local salon when the shocking announcement was broadcast on the radio: "We have very sad news,TMZ.com reports pop star Michael Jackson is dead at age 50".


At first, before they declared cardiac arrest as the cause, I though this was just a sick joke. Jackson has been the punch line for everyone for years, I figured that was all this was,but alas, it wasn't a joke or wild rumor-it was a fact. Upon realizing this, I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I felt sadder then I ever would have imagined I'd feel about the death of someone who I really didn't know. I almost cried in the chair, which made feel more than foolish as, I don't Micheal at all.
Since his death, his face, songs, memories, and scandals have been every where. And while criticism has been high, as has the mocking, I felt a sense of comfort in knowing that I was not the only fan mourning his loss as though he were a friend.

Despite his odd behavior, strange appearance and the scandalous gossip that has surround him through out his career (particularly in the last 15 years) his music and memories are such a part of my childhood. I remember watching his music video and live performances of "Smooth Criminal" in 88-89 when it was new. I remember being awed by his moonwalk and anti-gravity lean. I remember flipping to MTV, only hopping to catch a Jackson video and being filled with disappointment to find Bon Jovi instead. I was the only person I knew who bought his 2001 album Invincible, a shame because it was great. And while his death has thrown me in MJ Overdrive, his music has been regularly playing on my IPOD forever. Dirty Diana is among my 25 most played tracks out of over 5000 songs!

What's sad is that this is the most POSITIVE attention Jackson has gotten in the media in years-and it took his death to make people admit/ realize that despite how much they hated on him in life, he did mean SOMETHING to people. And while that something varies from person to person...everyone has some memory of him (even if it isn't a pleasant one).

The video of his last performance has been replaying over and over on CNN. Did he look healthy? Not really. Was it the performance level he gave at Motown's 25th Anniversary when he premiered the moonwalk? Hell No. But, it wasn't Britney's VMA "Gimme More" performance either, (as my friends had predicted). Ultimately, it showed homeboy could still perform.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?


A common, and very valid argument that critics have raised is that the Michael Jackson coverage has been so excessive that the story has been covered at the expensive of more important issues. It is absolutely true that there are more pressing issues then his death, I can't deny that. However, it is unfair to blame the lack of news coverage on important matters on Micheal Jackson. For even if Jackson hadn't died, the media would have ignored real news in favor of Farah or Billy Mays or the divorce of John & Kate plus 8. The media always has a sensational story to obsess over. Ultimately, I have been less critical of this obsession because I have been following it-thus it is partly my fault. I can't seem to tear myself away...which is why BBC is open on my laptop as I watch CNN's coverage.

No comments: